There are many measures that define the success of a communication campaign: correctly fulfilling the client’s brief is often the first hurdle, thereafter popular feedback from the viewing public is a good marker, and finally some sort of formal recognition from the industry, such as a marketing award, is often regarded best of all.
But what happens when the campaign is for something that really matters? To reduce the spread of HIV, to mitigate drug use or to try and eliminate horrific practices such as child trafficking. In these instances producing a ‘damn funny commercial’ is not enough. In fact it is not even close to enough. There is only one measure to define the success of these campaigns – a verifiable change in behavior from the target audience. And this has nothing to do with client briefs, popular advertising, nor with winning awards.
Strategic Campaign Planning (SCP)
Strategic Campaign Planning is the process of exploring Client Objectives (the problem/questions) to be addressed during the project and formally structuring a problem space in order to identify the Behavioral Objectives and the key groups, behaviors and audiences relevant to the Behavioral Objectives.
- To structure the problem space, i.e. to provide a diagnostic system representation of groups and behaviours comprising the problem.
- To identify and research paired groups and behaviours critical to the problem in order to select Target Audience(s) for further research.
- To yield a TAA research plan including formative Audience-Based MOE (Measures of Effectiveness) Indicators and their ranking order.
Planning provides the basis for all subsequent operations, and is therefore essential to the success of a project. It must be performed meticulously and carefully, to ensure that the research focuses on the relevant variables, that appropriate groups and behaviors are chosen for further research and that the right parameters for TAA research are identified.
Target Audience Analysis
Target Audience Analysis is the field research and analysis of Target Audiences and Target Groups, guided by specific parameters to ensure that research is grounded in the science and knowledge of group influence, and using bespoke qualitative and quantitative instruments on representative samples. In addition, data is collected for AB-MOE indicators.
- To provide comprehensive and accurate psychosocial, socio-dynamic and communication profiles of identified Target Groups and Target Audiences.
Bespoke scientific TAA is the cornerstone of the Behavioral Dynamics methodology. Through understanding of Target Audiences in relation to the specific behavioral objectives is the definitive approach for successful interventions.
Campaign Intervention Strategy
The Campaign Intervention Strategy Phase involves the final selection of the Group-Behavior Pair(s), the Campaign Target Group(s) and the Target Audience(s) that will be the focus of the Influence Campaign, and the design and testing of the Campaign Plan.
- To produce a fully workable and scientifically validated intervention strategy and campaign plan that fulfills the behavioral objectives.
The work done in the CIS Phase ensures that rigorous application of behavioral change theories are meshed with TAA so that Intervention Strategies are grounded in science, not speculation. The Predictive Measure of Effectiveness Index (PMI) is used to gauge potential success, thus increasing the likelihood of a successful campaign.
Audience Based Measures Of Effectiveness
During the MOE Phase, the effectiveness of the implemented campaign is measured, in terms of how well it was received by the CTA(s) and how effective it was in changing the behavior of the CTG(s) in line with the behavioral objectives.
- To produce statistical verification of the accurate assessment of the effectiveness of the influence campaign.
- To provide recommendations for the future, and highlight strengths and weaknesses of the campaign.
One can only be sure that a campaign has worked to achieve the project objectives if it is measurable. The process of measurement begins in SCP and is carried forward throughout, culminating in this final phase of evaluation.